Saturday 13 June 2009

Fiesta y Siesta: in no particular order


HOLA AMIGOS! After a few days of silence, I am prepared to delineate my holiday in Spain. Let´s begin with Thursday, the eleventh. I got up early with my new hostel friends, Shelby, Ariel, and Laurens (pronounced Lawrence) to explore Park Montjuic, a beautiful public space on the south western edge of the city. The park has a castle and a tram along with more typical Barcelonian flair—fountains, plazas, and ice cream!! We spent most of the day strolling through (read: uphill) the park. I should add—most of Barcelona´s parks are constructed on the small mountains that surround the city, and thus, visiting these parks involves long upward climbs. Do not think that I spent my holiday in spain leisurely lounging on beaches and plaza benches, eating tapas and drinking vino. My days are more akin to the life of a quarry worker; under the blistering sun, I fight against the elements, the pain, and the exhaustion. Then, I return to the hostel to drink myself silly and party until 5am in las discotecas. Truly, it is a difficult life.

The people I have met are incredible. Their lives and their opinions interest me immensely, and the best parts of my day are spent discussing religion, politics, law, philosophy, and nonsense with other travelers. I still believe that capitalism is the system best suited for me, but I am slowly allowing the idea that life on the road with minimal possessions is not only exciting, but also practical and rewarding.

I was sad to see a few of the friends I had made leave on Thursday evening, but I quickly became friends with a group of gents from Ohio, a young couple that just moved to Colorado, two Texan girls, an Australian, and a Canadian fellow.

On Thursday evening, I returned to the plaza at the base of Montjuic to watch the fountains. I went to the grocery store, purchased some meat, cheese, baguette, and two bottles of wine, and watched one of the most impressive light shows I have ever seen. The fountains put what the Bellagio does to shame. The colors are magnificent, the water choreography, mesmerizing.

Upon returning to the hostel, a large group of us joined up and headed to the beach to dance and drink. We partied in discotecas that reminded me of Miami (equally pricey and sleazy), but decidedly foreign. Our hostel danced until around 5am at which point we returned home, sweaty, exhausted, inebriated, and smiling. The Spanish party better than any other people. This is a fact.

On Friday, I woke up around noon, had a small breakfast, and took the train outside of Barcelona to Sitges. This is a beautiful beach town with an awesome boardwalk-like scene. I spent the day working on my tan, and bathing in the Mediterranean. The water was perfect.

I cooked a nice dinner with the girls from Texas. We made chicken fajitas with all the fixings. The girls chopped and kept my wine glass full while I slaved over rice, beans, and chicken. We went to another dance club.

I woke really late on Saturday, made some breakfast, and took a siesta immediately following my meal before finally rousing around 2:30. I took a walk to the Gothic Quarter via Las Ramblas, one of the most interesting streets in Barcelona. Las Ramblas blends tourism with prostitution and poverty in something that can only be called uncanny. The mix of people es muy extrano y el peligro—real. I returned again with a group on Saturday night to watch the prostitutes work and eat some ice cream.

I made dinner with a few travelers again. I cooked chorizo, bistec y pollo. We made a tapas dinner for three that included a corn, mango, and pineapple dish, grilled peppers and onions, chopped tomatoes, and a few other sides. La comida en Barcelona es mas fina!

Tomorrow, I am either going to rent a bike and travel the coast on wheels or visit the Picasso museum followed by a stint on the beach.

Will write again when the feeling strikes me….

Ciao!

2 comments: